Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Teslas and Auto Insurance

 Back in January, I blogged about Tesla auto insurance rates being on the high side.  I actually looked at a Tesla.  It was the insurance rates that gave me pause.  Earlier this month, the Tesla Model Y was noted for having the highest auto insurance rates of any car:

Study: Tesla Model Y Most Expensive Vehicle Model To Insure | Torque News

A while back, I called my insurance agent to get a quote on Tesla auto insurance.  I almost fell out of my chair!  I own a car that you plug-in so it takes more than a plug to scare me off.  Still, I have my limits.  Keep in mind that the $2,878 annual insurance bill citing in the above article is an average.  Speaking from personal experience, auto insurance can be more expensive than "average" in places like New York.

It's a different take on things.  For what it's worth, I think Tesla is changing the world -just like Apple.  Does that mean you want to own an Apple?  It depends on what you want from your car or computer.  And some folks see no wrong or limitations with Apple or Tesla.  It's a "fanboy" culture.  I think fanpeople have their affinities and it's usually around certain products.  Now if someone's passionate about something that isn't super popular among librarians and they have compelling reasons... I usually learn something new.  It's a different story.  Take this '98 Corvette Z06 with 671,957 miles (not a typo):

1998 Chevrolet Corvette for sale #2468403 - Hemmings Motor News

Corvette owners have a point that their sportscars hold up well.  The same has been said about the Toyota Prius and older Jeep Wranglers.  It's not changing the world quite like Apple or Tesla.  Yet they do have a point about longevity and cost of ownership.  As the ad mentions, the Corvette owner drives 175 miles per day and appreciates easy maintenance on the 'Vette.  There's something to be said for not feeling pressure to constantly upgrade.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home